Sunday, October 18, 2009

The plague visits Pleasant Hill

Well, well, well....the house is 80% packed and the reef tank is starting to get dismantled. We are starting to say the more long-term good-bye's to the family and friends which is followed with some tears. However, when you are looking for it…there is a significant amount of humor in this adventure.


During the move Michelle conveniently had a business trip that she needed to attend so the bulk of the packing falls to me. On Friday I hear a knock on the door that I know will start the process....little did I know how it would make me laugh and shake my head at the same time. I opened the door to what can only be described as human locusts that will quickly devour our home into little brown boxes with unreadable marks on the outside that should denote its destination....we will see if that comes to pass. These locusts were the Tom & Jerry of moving with one being 6'6" and the other was about 5"6". These two guys appeared harmless with their gray hair and receding hair line but I am convinced they were wearing a disguise. Not that older men can’t work hard but as I have mentioned before these two devoured my house in less than 1 day. Where is the humor you may ask....well that only comes to pass when the plague leaves the house and the dust settles.

They started in the back of the 1st floor and completed the whole first floor before moving to the 2nd floor. The awareness that I had been robbed of every human comfort came often and fast.....

* Went to feed the dogs....no can opener!


* Went to change the channel on the TV.....What! I have had a remote for years now! How can it be gone?


* Next morning to change clothes....packed.


* Turn on light to have dinner....HA, the light is gone....move locations or eat in the dark

* Moved the the living room to watch dinner and have a bite......NO Table!


* Utensils to have dinner....who needs a fork....packed.


* Reviewing the "to-do" list....can’t mark anything off because the pen in gone!

* Going from here to there....a brown tunnel of boxes controls my path....

* Needing to visit the bathroom.....push the boxes aside to make room.

* Do a final load of laundry....NOPE...the washer and dryer is shrink wrapped and a box on top is labled "dirty clothes"...seriously?  I could have done 1 more load.


The list goes on and on...

Lesson of the Day: Make sure you are VERY specific about what they can and can’t pack!


The RV trip starts in T-3 days...stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds crazy! It was very similar for us when we moved to Atlanta, but crazy on the opposite end. The movers took a week to get here after we arrived so we had nothing at our destination. That was crazy trying to figure out how to get around not having the basics.

    I do have to say, though, that after our last move, where we packed all our own stuff and moved just 3 miles, I told Ed we would never move again unless the company moved. That is the only way to go!

    I hope you have a blast on your road trip. Can't wait to read all about it!

    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Hunter,
    Thanks for the laugh this morning! Good Luck on your cross country adventure and congrats on the promotion. I remember when the company I was working for moved us from SF to Portland. I was the conveintly one away from the house when the movers arrived. I was busy settling in to the new house and job while Dan and David were still in SF. So of course I could only complain afterwards as I unwrapped boxes...Why did they put this in this box etc. Funny about having no dishes and sivlerware :) I knew that all my stuff was arriving soon So I went out and bought paper plates and plastic forks. I kept thinking how ironic this was that I had just gotten a promtion the company was moving us and had given me a compnay car and I have to eat off paper plates and use plasctic utensils!
    All the best to you, Michelle and the dogs. Hope you have your winter gear ready :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I lived your very comment for 12 years of military moves!

    One move they even packed the garbage can from the kitchen - garbage included! Luckily it wasn't anything smelly.

    You'll look back on these days with humor, trust me!

    Good luck on your trip East!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this chapter of your lives with us. It will be a great adventure, alright! Can I buy the rights and turn this into a movie? Who can we get to play you and Michelle??

    ReplyDelete